Introduction to QlikMaps
Welcome to QlikMaps! You are about to begin analyzing data in a whole new way and this Knowledge Base (KB) is here to support you.
To start, let's set some expectations for what this KB contains, and, what it doesn't. There are an endless number of geospatial BI activities you can do with QlikMaps and we can't possibly write about all of them here. There are a few examples buried here, but most of the KB is showing you how the product works, not how to shape it into the story you are going to tell. Don't worry though, we have plenty of other resources to kick start your dive into geospatial BI and plenty of code out there you can borrow.
For now, let's make sure you have the product installed.
The first thing we need to do is install QlikMaps in all the places you are going to use it. QlikMaps works for both QlikView and Qlik Sense, but the installation package is different. Be sure to download the newest version for the Qlik Product you are using from QlikMaps.com/download.
Directions to install Qlik Sense are here for the desktop
and here for the Server
Installing for QlikView can be done in a number of different ways. Check out the installation options available here to select the method for your environment.
Using QlikMaps will come naturally to many Qlik Developers. That said, if you have never used a mapping or geospatial BI solution it may be difficult to understand the basics of how maps work. Also, working in the QlikView Desktop environment requires you to turn on WebView, providing a slightly different layout for creating objects. Don't worry, you're not alone.
There are a few places you can go to learn more about QlikMaps including the Knowledge Base, our Vimeo Channel, or our download site for examples.
You are reading this article on the Knowledge Base (KB) now. In other sections, we explain what all the switches inside QlikMaps do and how to avoid some common mistakes.
The KB is broken up in to a Qlik Sense section and an QlikView section. It is important to point out that, for the most part, QlikMaps for Sense and QlikMaps for QlikView are the same. The KB for each product is separated because the development paradigm is different between Sense and QlikView and separating the two makes it easier to explain where things are found in each version of QlikMaps.
QlikMaps for Qlik Sense
The QlikMaps for Qlik Sense section of the KB is separated in to 7 main categories.
- QlikMaps Properties - This section documents the layout of the extension and the accordion style properties of the object.
- Points Map - This section documents a Points Map. The Point Map is used to place markers, icons, text or HTML markers on the map.
- Polygon Map - This section documents a Polygon Map. The Polygon Map is used to visualize polygons on a map.
- Polyline Map - This section documents a Line Map. The Polyline Map is used to draw lines between points on a map.
- Popups - The section documents the creation of HTML popups.
- Marker Maps - This section documents the configuration of Radial Plots and Spider Charts.
- Qlik Sense Editor - This section documents nuances in the Qlik Sense Editor. It is highly recommended you read through this section before you start developing.
QlikMaps for QlikView
The QlikMaps for QlikView section of the KB is separated in to 4 main categories.
- QlikMaps for Points - This section documents the Points Map Object. The Point Map Object can be used to place markers, icons, text or HTML markers on the map.
- QlikMaps for Polygons - This section documents the Polygon Map Object. The Polygon Map Object can be used to create Polygon Maps or Line based maps.
- QlikMaps for Multilayer - This section documents the Multilayer Map Object that allows you to show multiple point and/or polygon layers on the same map.
- Popups - The section documents the creation of HTML popups.
While the KB does a good job of showing you how to get started, watching someone else do it can turn an idea in to reality.
Three different video channels have been created on Vimeo.com/analytics8 to help you get started and provide advanced ideas.
- QlikMaps and Qlik Routes - This contains any video we've ever created about QlikMaps or QlikRoutes, regardless of whether it is for Qlik Sense or QlikView. Remember, the feature sets are the same so if you see something done in Qlik Sense that you want to do in QlikView, come back to the KB for a How To.
- How To - QlikMaps for Qlik Sense - This contains how to videos specifically for Qlik Sense. They will often include time in the expression editor showing you how to do something.
- How To - QlikMaps for QlikView - This contains how to videos specifically for QlikView. They will often include time in the expression editor showing you how to do something.
The download site contains a number of example .qvw and .qvf files. When logged on to the QlikMaps download site, select the 'Examples and Tutorials' folder.
In the Sense 'Examples and Tutorials' folder, use the 'QlikMapsExamples.qvf' to see features implemented in basic maps. Most of the code from these files can be copied directly out of the application and used in your app.
The QlikMaps 2.x.zip file is a package of two files that make up the demo application. The demo application shows what a well thought out QlikMaps implementation can look like.
The QlikView 'Examples and Tutorials' folder contains a subfolders with .qvw's in them. Look in the 'Tutorials folder' for 'QlikMaps Points.qvw' and 'QlikMaps Polygon and Multilayer.qvw' for examples of features implemented in basic maps. Most of the code from these can be copied directly out of the application and used in your app.
The 'Demo' folder contains the demo application. The demo application shows what a well thought out QlikMaps implementation can look like.
The QlikMaps team has done it's best to test every feature and environment and document every nuance, but we are bound to miss some things. If you run in to issues that you can't seem to solve, reach out to support.
|QlikMaps 2.6||11.2 SR5 or newer||3.2 SR2 to Feb 2018|
|QlikMaps 3.0||11.2 SR5 or newer||3.2 SR2 to Feb 2018|
|QlikMaps 3.0.1||11.2 SR5 or newer||3.2 SR3 to Feb 2018
* June 2017 release requires at least Patch #1 published by Qlik
|QlikMaps 3.0.2||N/A||April 2018 and newer|
*QlikMaps is NOT supported on Qlik Sense June 2017 release without Patch #1
The above table is based on extensive testing in our environments and is intended to be a reference, not a rulebook, for behavior in controlled environments.